Sunday, July 27, 2008

Reflection on our IPP in the Philippines

Sunday, 27. July 2008, 01:00 (Manila local time) – 1 hour after the official end of the IPP in the Philippines. I find myself on the plane, somewhere between East and West, sipping my cup of coffee and trying to make sense of the past three weeks. It is time for reflection, a crucial part of a lifelong process that I call learning. Learning itself is the key to what we generally refer to as progress or development, which according to the theme of our IPP should be achieved in a somewhat sustainable way.

At the outset of the programme, we defined and discussed our expectations and desired learning outcomes in terms of ourselves, our group and the IPP. Our final day was used to reflect and evaluate the IPP and measure its success according to our predefined aims and objectives. Amongst other positive outcomes, the mutual process of learning and sharing with the Aetas was emphasized. Overall, the positive impact of our various discussions, activities and experiences during the IPP on each participant, her values, beliefs and overall development was repeatedly highlighted.

For myself, the beautiful landscape in the Philippines – its beaches, palm trees, rice fields and terraces, forests, mountains, rivers and waterfalls; the rides on tricycles and in and on top of jeepneys; the fresh mangoes, pineapples and bananas; and the visits of different indigenous and non-indigenous villages and communities made a big impression on me. However, despite the magnitude of these experiences, I increasingly realise their marginal impact on myself in comparison with the very encounters and interactions with other IPP participants, members of staff, and local peoples; encounters which made an everlasting impact on me and enriched my life more than words could ever express.

In terms of the latter, amongst other interactions with local peoples, one particular situation seems to be worth mentioning here. Whilst staying in an Ifugao village, established to promote eco-tourism, I have had the privilege to interact with a group of ten to fifteen Ifugao youth, awaiting their performance as part of our cultural night. It has been a great pleasure to share our experiences, knowledges, world views, hopes and dreams; interact on an equal level; and in doing so overcome the cultural differences and barriers that often seem to set us apart and overshadow our common humanness. Their pride of and desire to preserve their cultural heritage whilst aspiring to grow and learn beyond the traditional truly inspired me.

In terms of the interactions and relationships between IPP participants and members of staff, our openness and willingness to share our personal stories, worldviews and feelings fascinated me. This became in particular evident during our spider-web as part of our final activity on Friday night as well as during various more informal chats on a one-to-one basis or in smaller groups. It has been a pleasure and privilege to join you all on part of your very personal learning journeys. Your openness, honesty, trust and friendship are much appreciated. Any attempt to name and thank you here would be doomed to failure – both in terms of the number of people I would have to mention and the depth of my gratitude and respect for who you are and what you stand for. You know who you are – keep journeying, keep smiling and keep safe.

Love, Dan

3 comments:

barbiegirl said...

It was a pleasure journeying with you, Dan! Perhaps (and hopefully) one day, our paths will cross again.

Good luck with your dissertation! Do let us know how it goes.

Love, love

sunkissedsoul said...

Dan, that was such an amazingly heartfelt entry. You write beautifully. I miss you! I do hope your dissertation goes well. And, yes, please let us know how it goes.

I will have to visit UK soon. Or Germany. Depending on where you are. :)

ipp philippines said...

Thanks for your nice comments. I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with my dissertation :-) I'll leave a copy for you on my bookshelf - feel free to pick it up anytime after 01. Sept. ;-)
Love, Dan